Around milepost 8, the Middle Fork road passes a small pond. During January's snow event here in Washington, USA a trip up the river valley found the pond completely frozen over. The road itself was buried under over a foot of snow, and almost impassable despite a 4x4 equipped with snow tires! While attempting to drive to trailheads further up, on arriving at the pond I noticed this potential image of ice bubbles, and was attracted by the loops they'd formed around a refrozen small hole in the ice.
At this point we almost got stuck in the snow so, deciding discretion was the better part of valor, we retreated and parked, before walking back a quarter mile. A very hesitant walk down a steep verge of packed and icy snow got me into a position to take this abstract hand-held. I needed all hands and feet to stay upright on the icy slope, so a tripod was out of the question!Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor