Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I took this image while camping in the Idehan Ubari in the Libyan Sahara, before the country descended into civil war. The Ubari Sand Sea is a vast area of towering sand dunes dotted with around twenty beautiful gem-coloured palm-fringed (and very salty) lakes that create a spectacular contrast to their desiccated surroundings.
We had already spent time in the Akakus desert and Wankasa Sand Sea during my travels in the land of SPLAJ (Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya), as the State of Libya was known at the time, but neither prepared me for the sight or the size of the sand dunes in Ubari. It was almost impossible to decide where to point my camera … the effect of the different light throughout the day created shapes and colours that my camera could not do justice to.
One morning, I got up before dawn to watch the early morning sun illuminate the contours of the dunes. The ripples and curves of this dune immediately caught my eye and I spent some time working on different compositions. I was shooting handheld so used a higher ISO than I would normally do when on a tripod to ensure sharpness.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor