Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Living in Bend, OR provides a seemingly infinite array of photographic opportunities. This particular shot was taken on a gray winter's day that didn't offer a lot in terms of sunrise or sunset opportunities. However, the soft light afforded by the overcast sky prompted me to hike along the Deschuttes River in a favorite area adjacent to the "Big Eddy" rapids looking for interesting abstract rock and/or ice possibilities.
This particular subject caught my eye - particularly because of the nice leading line afforded by the small snow and ice patches clinging to the moss covered rocks in the foreground. I chose an f/11 exposure to maximize depth of field, and then shot three images with focal points shifting from front to back. I stacked and merged the three images in Photoshop to produce the properly sharp final image. Of particular importance in this shot was having a strong, stable tripod since I was standing on a rock in the middle of the river with the tripod feet in the fast flowing water. I can't say enough good things about the Really Right Stuff tripod and head I use. It provides an exceptionally solid and reliable platform in all conditions and weather, and was essential in getting this image.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor