Minnewaska State Park at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains offers much to hikers, rock climbers, mountain bikers, and photographers. On this day, my wife and I hiked to the bottom of Awosting Falls to capture this shot, created from the mist of falling water built up over time. Needless to say, the waterfall wasn't the only icy thing. The trail led down a traverse in the cliff wall that had a combination of snow and ice, but mostly ice. We made it down safely that day only to discover that the park rangers closed off the trailhead due to its danger.
I have been to Minnewaska State Park many times in all seasons. It offers uncluttered views of the Hudson Valley in NY – also some fine glacial rock formations and lakes. There is a line of cliffs called the Shawangunks, famed for rock climbing and bouldering. I often carry my camera gear and my mountain bike, park the car and then decide what course to take; I have yet to do both simultaneously.
Getting there: the park is about an hour north of New York City. Getting off the NY Thruway at New Paltz, NY, head west on 299 and make a right on 55/44. There are 3 parking lots, the first being Mohonk Preserve West Trapps Trailhead, the second being Peterskill At Minnewaska State Park Preserve, and finally, closest to the waterfall is Minnewaska State Park Preserve Main Gate. From the main gate, you can drive and park at Lake Minnewaska at the Minnewaska Visitor Center.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor