TAKE PART • WIN $100
For the last dozen years my wife and I have been pursuing a quest to visit much of the US National Park system. So far we have been to 34 of the 63 parks. I'm sure that to no one's surprise, our travel plans for last year got scrubbed. Instead of flying out west, we decided to travel elsewhere by car instead. One place we visited was Great Smoky Mountains National Park, a new one for us.
I got a book about where to photograph in the park. I always try to use a resource like that when I am researching a trip. We planned to stay seven days, four on the south side of the park in Cherokee, NC, and three in Gatlinburg, TN. We had a list of waterfalls and mountain views to visit from both locations. Clingman's Dome, the highest mountain in the park, was on the list.
We went there the first time one morning from Cherokee. The mountain is in the middle of the park, but getting there from the southern side has less traffic. The views were classic Smokies. There is a trail from the parking area up to an observation tower, but I found that the views were not necessarily the best from there.
After coming back down and spending the afternoon elsewhere, we intended to get an early dinner and go back up for sunset. Arriving somewhat early, I had time to scout around beyond the parking area for a good spot to shoot. I finally settled in, and as I shot while waiting for the sun to get low, this was my favorite image.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your personal portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 400,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your personal portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 400,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor