At one time Iceland had forested lands over 30% of the country. As these forests were used up ,homes to furnish cover and comfort where made with turf roofs as was a custom in Norway at the time.
As it turned out, turf roofs were a better insulator than either wood or rock and turf was easy to obtain.Here in June in Southern Iceland is an abandoned turf house overgrown with local wildflowers.
Just a short hike from the car a hand held shot.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor