Staying in Pienza located in the Province of Siena, Tuscany or more specifically in the Val d’Orcia, I was up early hoping for some ground fog at Belvedere, west of town. But when I got there, it was clear and mild; no ground fog for this early October morning. So, having checked out the Agriturismo Poggio Covili farther to the south with its line of cypress trees, I got in my car and quickly drove down SR-2 to the spot I had picked out to shoot the Viale di Cipressi and farm back lit against the glow of the early morning sky and the rising sun. Stopping a little east of the creek bed along with a fellow photographer after the same scene I got out my camera and began shooting producing this compelling simple image.
I had long wanted to visit Tuscany, its Val d’Orcia, its rolling hills, churches, vineyards, the hill towns of Montepulciano and Monticchiello along with the wonderful wine of Montalcino. A family trip to the Province of Siena made it possible, with trip beginning and ending in Florence. Including Siena along with Pienza. Pienza is ideally situated as it is centrally located to wonders of this part of Tuscany and is a delightful small town in its own right. One would expect nothing less since Pope Pius the II had his summer residence here. But what we liked best was the Tratoria Latte di Luna at the Eastern part of Pienza.
I have long been a fan of simplistic images, using a fair amount of negative space to enhance to feel of the moment. The wonderful yellowing glow with the blue of the sky, richly offsets the black of the cypresses and farm. I must admit that I enlarged the waning crescent moon of that morning to compensate for it being diminished by shotting at 38mm.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor