The Lofoten Islands sit far above the Arctic Circle in the turbulent waters of the Norwegian Sea. This rugged archipelago is known for its majestic mountains, deep fjords, surf-swept beaches, and small fishing villages. In winter, the wild landscape here is often covered in a blanket of snow that further beautifies the scenery in a contrast of colors. And then, there are the awe-inspiring northern lights, or aurora borealis, that frequently splash green across the night sky.
Hamnøy or Hamnøya is a small fishing village on the eastern side of the island of Moskenesøya. It’s the oldest fishing village in the Lofoten archipelago, considered one of the most picturesque in the islands. Hamnøy is dotted with colorful fishing cottages called Rorbuer, a Norwegian traditional house once used by fishermen but now mostly rented by tourists.
I took this photo on a February morning near the harbor at Hamnøy. We had just photographed a glorious sunrise on the other side of the harbor when we stopped at this spot. In winter, the sun in these parts stays low near the horizon, so the light remains photogenic all day.
Since both the water and the clouds were moving, I decided to take a long exposure for a more serene image and mounted a 6-stop neutral density filter on my lens to slow down the shutter. The 67-second exposure served to soften the choppy waters and shifting clouds. The triangular-shaped mountain on the right is Olstinden, one of the most iconic mountain facades in the entire archipelago. The red fishing cottages on the left add color contrast against the blue-green waters of the harbor and snow-covered mountains.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor