Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This image was the result of lucky timing and being ready. I had walked into the Lower Cataract Lake area in the Gore Range before dawn and was delighted to see the mist just coming off the water as the sun started to rise behind me. The camera was on the tripod and the manual settings were already dialed in to capture the hint of the trees and far side of the lake. I always use a totally neutral white balance setting to capture the colors that are actually present. Some have noticed the sky has a different hue on the left versus the right and have asked about it. The right side is still colored by the overcast cool tones so they have that familiar magenta touch you see in the Colorado sky. While the left side has the warm sunlight changing the hue. Giving it the more cyan looking blue. There is also just a hint of the warmer tone from the sun in the cloud and its reflection. I call this image "Just Clearing".
This location is fairly easy to photograph in spring through fall. You can drive to within a half mile of the water in a sturdy vehicle. The road is rutted and very narrow. Watch out for oncoming vehicles on the curves! There are trails around the lake and also others that branch off to the much longer Gore Range trail as well. In winter it requires snowshoes or skis to approach the lake from the paved access road that is three miles downhill. There are opportunities for great photographs during all of the seasons. I have several keepers from this general area. The Gore Range in general is one of the most picturesque areas in the Rockies. Most lakes in them are not this easy to get approach. Many of them would involve bushwhacking hikes.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor