I recently had a Nikon Z5 converted to 830nm infrared, and this past January was my first real outing with the new toy. A drive up Highway 93 in Canada's wonderful Banff National Park seemed like the best place to take if to a test drive.
Most photographers aim for the blue and golden hours at the start and end of each day; throw in partly cloudy conditions, and you are in heaven, right? But what about the rest of the day? Well, that's where infrared shines - the brighter, the better.
This particular picture is brought to you as it was straight-out-of-camera (the only edit was a re-size as per contest guidelines). I set the in-body picture controls to monochrome, bumped contrast and sharpness by +1, and selected R for the red filter deep in the monochrome menu to blacken those skies, and here you go (Robert's your father's brother and all that). All that was missing was a little "partly cloudy".
I think I have found my niche... what say you?Upload YOUR Picture • WIN $200 Cash
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor