This photo was taken during a workshop in Olympic National Park. The Sol Duc valley is part of a temperate rainforest and in fall is a rich, verdant location prime for intimate landscapes; the rainy weather saturated the colors and provided ideal soft, diffused light.
The Sol Duc River flows through a deep chasm just downstream of this location and the roar of the river and mists formed by the turbulence created an ideal atmosphere for capturing the motion of water riffles, though the rain made the trail and riverbank challenging to traverse.
I found a location across from this moss-covered boulder and experimented with several shutter speeds, eventually settling on the exposure you see here. There are unlimited photographic opportunities in the park, ranging from rainforests, to mountains, to rugged shoreline.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor