One of the most rewarding experiences in landscape photography to me is when a picture works out exactly the way I had in mind when I scouted it. I had the trees in this image on my list for quite a while. My ideal image required snow in the foreground to cover the rather uninspiring patch of grass that only the cows appreciate in summer. It also required fog to hide a background that would have distracted the view from the trees which I wanted to be the only subject.
I was driving back from shooting another scene and for some reason, I decided to take a small detour and check out those trees as I knew that the snow would fulfil at least one of my requirements. But it was already past sunset. So the last thing I expected was the scene that presented itself when I saw the trees. A beautiful fog had settled not only in the background but was also wafting through the foreground, very delicately hiding some parts of the landscape and revealing others. And as a bonus, there was even a gorgeous pinkish glow in the sky from the setting sun.
I couldn’t have asked for more! As it was already very late, I literally stopped my car on the road – a small country road – rushed to the trunk of my car to grab my equipment, prepared the tripod while running to the spot from where I needed to shoot, put on my camera, focused, and took a few images. Within less than five minutes, then the beautiful light was completely gone. What an incredibly nice surprise this was.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor