Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
A windswept "Acacia tortiles" (umbrella thorn acacia) stands alone in the vast desert landscape at Al Qudra, south east of Dubai.
It is trees with character and sculptural qualities that attracts me. I look for trees with a character of its own and a story to tell. I wonder about their stories, how long they have been here, their struggles with the harsh and relentless conditions they have had to endure and how many roaming camels they have fed over the years.
Over a year or so I have taken several week end trips to the desert in search of suitable subjects, observing them in different light and weather conditions. I look for compositions where the trees are embraced by the surrounding landscape and with as little distraction as possible surrounding them.
I take time to observe the tree from different distances and angles. I walk around the tree and engage in a dialogue with the tree to find the composition, the light and how the tree is framed by the surrounding landscape.
Finding the 'right' light is always challenging here in the UAE. Hazy, grey and cloudless skies are more common than not, however It does offer an opportunity for a more minimalistic approach to photography. Discovering new ways of approaching the desert landscape and the 'unfavorable' weather conditions have changed the way I approach photography. The image becomes more about the emotional response rather than the actual place.
I have build up a small series of images, each with its own story. In this image with its dream like apearance I placed myself in such a way that the the curve of the tree trunk mimics the dunes in the back ground. The delicate branches a reminder of how fragile and vulnerable the trees are in this hostile environment.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor