The second day of a visit to the West Highlands and a clear morning compared to the previous day full of white-out blizzards, I was the first one here this morning when I arrived pre-dawn.
A different take on a classic location, I was hoping for something along these lines, but I didn't know quite what; the minus temperatures at dawn, although not much fun to be lying on the floor in, produced some amazing ice patterns in the river around the rocks, I got absolutely soaked taking this. Still, I had my breakfast to look forward to and a warm hotel room, so I just cracked on and managed quite a few from this beautiful morning, this one being the first.
As I left, I stopped with 2 other photographers who were just shooting the classic scene of the waterfall and the Boochle (I grabbed one myself), utterly oblivious to what was a little further up the river, I'm all for the classic shots, but often it pays to look a bit further afield. Still, neither seemed interested when I mentioned it; each to their own, I guess.
Depth of field was a challenge here, to say the least! Also, I was that low. I couldn't use the tripod as I'd forgotten my short column, so I resorted to building a platform of rocks to keep the camera stable through the exposure.
A personal favourite, tough work getting it, and even more challenging to be recreated – 5 image focus stack.
Winning image of UK LOPTY Landscape Photographer of the Year 2018.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor