One of the items I made a point of packing on my trip to Iceland was a pair of rubber rain boots to wear when shooting near water. For some reason, I had the brilliant idea of leaving these boots in my car when photographing close to the shoreline at Diamond Beach. This caused my shoes to get soaked with glacial water pretty quickly, and I ended up walking around for over an hour in my socks, looking for compositions. A lot was going on at Diamond Beach, and I was pretty overwhelmed.
I was finding it hard to find good compositions and had to deal with the waves moving the ice pieces around. With a lot of trial and error, I finally got a shot I was happy with and was able to get back to the car and get the heater on. If you take anything from this story, bring a pair of rubber boots to this location!
Diamond Beach has ice blocks even throughout the summer and is truly a special place in Iceland that cannot be missed. I also recommend playing around with shutter speeds to photograph incoming or receding waves, as the choice of shutter speed length will affect how the waves look.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor