We had stopped on the track down to this old abandoned property to shoot the snow-covered mountains in the opposite direction as the light falling on the peaks along the range was quite something; once we had got our shots, we spotted this old house right at the end of the track.
Curiosity got the better of us, so we decided to explore; the house against the moody black sky with the low sun underneath made a perfect backdrop to shoot the abandoned house, and numerous compositions were available with the wispy grasses in the foreground that were also lit by the low sunlight.
I had to bracket five images here as the contrast was too much to handle in one shot, going from white snow to a black cloud and a fierce bit of sunlight in the middle; I've merged these using luminosity marks in Photoshop.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor