This photo is the result of possibly the most challenging hike I have ever done, totalling around 12 hours spread out over one day and carrying a camping bag weighing well over 50 pounds.
I reached this location at the summit in the late afternoon, but a group of us were told that we had to descend before sunset as this was the rule of the area. I descended halfway down to the rest area, where I did not even open my tent because I had no campsite reserved, and waited all night until it was time to make the ascent by headlamp before sunrise.
The sunrise was worth it, and the conditions ended up being a good mix of light with some clouds. Fortunately, the wind was pretty calm, allowing for some reflections in the water. I also decided to use a longer shutter speed to give some movement to the clouds, which were rapidly shifting atop the three jagged peaks.
This location reminded me of fingernails painted with a golden light from the sunrise. The fact that I had accomplished my goal was enough of a push for me to make one last hike down to the bottom of the trail, where I bought out the snack bar.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor