Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Summer is possibly the worst time to visit the desert in Australia, and February is possible the worst time in summer to visit the desert. Its hot, but its the wind that is the problem. Hot northerlies gust across the dried out land barrelling dust before them. This particular trip is memorable for me as it was February 2019, my last trip before lockdown. My daughter, working in the health sector in London had warned me trouble was imminent but I had no inclination of what was in store and was excited to get back out to this favoured area despite the weather.
I drove into the Willandra Lakes area of south western New South Wales expecting heat and it did not disappoint. It was above 40 out on the dunes, and extremely windy. I found it very difficult to focus with the wind coming directly into my face and being blasted with sand. Many of my shots from this trip were out of focus and badly composed. This was to be the last day of my visit and storm clouds had begun to menace the sky by late morning; thunderstorms were expected with the possibility of heavy localised rain. I wanted to get some shots of the dunes with the darkening sky as a backdrop, and I was also hoping for some drifting sand to be caught in the composition. Oddly, the dunes appear quite calm in this image and there appears to be little movement in the sand, but I was happy with the ominous sky as the background to this sensuous dunes field.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor