Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Killarney National Park, near the town of Killarney, County Kerry, was the first national park in Ireland, created when the Muckross Estate was donated to the Irish Free State in 1932. The combination of mountains, lakes, woods, and waterfalls under ever changing skies gives the area a special scenic beauty. I visited Ireland with the hopes of capturing the classic beauty of “The Emerald Isle” and I wasn’t disappointed.
South and west of the town of Killarney is an expanse of rugged mountainous country. This includes the McGillycuddy’s Reeks, the highest mountain range in Ireland which rise to a height of over 1000 meters. At the foot of these mountains nestle the world-famous lakes of Killarney. Upper lake is one of the more scenic locations as small boats wait for the arrival of enthusiastic fishermen.
I arrived early in the morning as the rain gently fell on the landscape. It was still dark as I made my way to the edge of the lake. As the scene lightened up, I walked around taking grab shots, looking for the composition I wanted to focus on when the light was just right. As the sun attempted to break through, the clouds began to give way to the soft golden light. The definition of the clouds reflecting in the calm water below added balance to the scene and the small white boat added a point of interest.
As with any landscape photo, thoughtful editing is key for bringing out the full potential of a RAW file. My workflow includes Adobe Camera RAW, Photoshop, Topaz DeNoise AI and Nik Collection by DXO.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor