Montmorency Falls are spectacular all year round. Located between two walls of rock over the cliff to the St. Lawrence River below, they are large and high. In fact, at 83 meters tall (272 ft.), they are 30 meters (98.5 ft.) higher than the famous Niagara Falls and 23m (75 ft.) higher than Iceland Skogafoss Falls.
This photograph was taken in February from the East side of Montmorency river, just before it ends in the St-Lawrence River. This is the best place to see the icy sugarloaf at the bottom of the Falls. With the usual winds, the temperature was a "warm minus 15 Celsius" and the mist froze almost immediately on the front of the lens when I got too close to the falls. A transparent filter was needed to protect the lens from the mist and to clean it every 2-3 shots. I didn't use my tripod because the light was very bright and I needed to walk a good distance at that temperature.
From a composition standpoint, I wanted to emphasize the power, danger and size of the Falls. FIrst, I decided to use a longer focal length to make the people going on the sugarloaf appear very close to the Falls. Second, I voluntarily avoided to include the top of the Falls in my frame, giving no cues about its size. Third, I framed it horizontally in spite of the height of the Falls, allowing me to show how large it is. Finally, I waited about an hour to see a few brave persons going on the sugarloaf to add some scale information. I knew the size of people would add drama to the Falls.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor