Recently, I have been hearing and reading with interest about the benefits the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera had to offer. Boasting a larger sensor, improved dynamic range and exceptional colour reproduction, it had been on my radar for some time so, when I recently had the chance to purchase a second hand one, I jumped at the chance.
A recent visit to Santander in Spain seemed like the ideal time to put it to the test: seven days full of potential sunrises and sunsets, plenty of contrast on light and colour – ideal conditions to push its limits. While there, the Fuji and I managed to photograph all the iconic locations I’d wanted to capture, but I also took some images purely for testing purposes; shooting into the sun, making sure there were dark areas in the frame.
Once back home, all the images were uploaded and filed into Lightroom. The first thing I was itching to find out was if the dynamic range was as good as I had hoped – and to my amazement, I was not disappointed. The detail that could be pushed from the shadows was incredible. In comparison to previous cameras that I have owned, even full frame cameras, the difference was certainly large enough to justify the expense. Additionally, and equally important, the images coming out of the semi-medium format sensor were also of exceptional quality. Hopefully the GFX 50S will encourage other brands to raise the bar, stop the megapixel war and concentrate on dynamic range instead. Meanwhile, I know what camera I’ll be reaching for from now on, to accompany me on future trips.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue