Recently, I have been hearing and reading with interest about the benefits the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera had to offer. Boasting a larger sensor, improved dynamic range and exceptional colour reproduction, it had been on my radar for some time so, when I recently had the chance to purchase a second hand one, I jumped at the chance.
A recent visit to Santander in Spain seemed like the ideal time to put it to the test: seven days full of potential sunrises and sunsets, plenty of contrast on light and colour – ideal conditions to push its limits. While there, the Fuji and I managed to photograph all the iconic locations I’d wanted to capture, but I also took some images purely for testing purposes; shooting into the sun, making sure there were dark areas in the frame.
Once back home, all the images were uploaded and filed into Lightroom. The first thing I was itching to find out was if the dynamic range was as good as I had hoped – and to my amazement, I was not disappointed. The detail that could be pushed from the shadows was incredible. In comparison to previous cameras that I have owned, even full frame cameras, the difference was certainly large enough to justify the expense. Additionally, and equally important, the images coming out of the semi-medium format sensor were also of exceptional quality. Hopefully the GFX 50S will encourage other brands to raise the bar, stop the megapixel war and concentrate on dynamic range instead. Meanwhile, I know what camera I’ll be reaching for from now on, to accompany me on future trips.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers. Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor