For some time now, I had been desperate to spend a couple of days in almost complete isolation, far away from civilisation and the hustle of every-day life. I think it is good for our soul and sanity that frequent escapes should take place. With all the technology we allow to enter our lives, on a daily basis, frequent detoxing can be hugely beneficial – and ‘back to nature’ is always a good idea.
So, where can one find such place in Scotland? Well, there are actually quite a few places around, but I decided to visit the Isle of Eigg, which lies off the Northwest coast of Scotland.
I had heard much about its great beauty, but I didn’t actually appreciate how isolated it really is. Eigg is a fairly small island, with a population of just over one hundred. Perhaps the most beautiful part of the island is at the Northwestern point, around the Bay of Laig; a sandy beach, extending to a rocky shoreline, which displays the most breathtaking formations of volcanic rocks. The backdrop? That’s also to die for, fanning out towards the Isle of Rum.
With no telephone signal and the Wi-Fi at the small hotel being extremely unreliable, it was the perfect way to spend a weekend of solitude and I came back refreshed and ready for duty.
If you are seeking isolation and breathtaking beauty, but haven’t yet visited Eigg, you are certainly missing out on an island with much to offer.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers. Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor