For some time now, I had been desperate to spend a couple of days in almost complete isolation, far away from civilisation and the hustle of every-day life. I think it is good for our soul and sanity that frequent escapes should take place. With all the technology we allow to enter our lives, on a daily basis, frequent detoxing can be hugely beneficial – and ‘back to nature’ is always a good idea.
So, where can one find such place in Scotland? Well, there are actually quite a few places around, but I decided to visit the Isle of Eigg, which lies off the Northwest coast of Scotland.
I had heard much about its great beauty, but I didn’t actually appreciate how isolated it really is. Eigg is a fairly small island, with a population of just over one hundred. Perhaps the most beautiful part of the island is at the Northwestern point, around the Bay of Laig; a sandy beach, extending to a rocky shoreline, which displays the most breathtaking formations of volcanic rocks. The backdrop? That’s also to die for, fanning out towards the Isle of Rum.
With no telephone signal and the Wi-Fi at the small hotel being extremely unreliable, it was the perfect way to spend a weekend of solitude and I came back refreshed and ready for duty.
If you are seeking isolation and breathtaking beauty, but haven’t yet visited Eigg, you are certainly missing out on an island with much to offer.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue