The things we don’t see
I do believe that us landscape photographers must surely be among some of the luckiest people in the world. Whether we shoot professionally or as a hobby, we get to immerse ourselves in nature, visit incredible locations (whether they are iconic ones, or lesser-known ‘hidden gems’) and capture the very essence of our beautiful planet.
For me though, one of the aspects of being a pro photographer that still brings me great pleasure is running photographic workshops. Although I spend more time editing the magazine these days than shooting or teaching, the trips I still do have become even more rewarding.
Each workshop brings new clients, all with different aims and ideas, but sharing one passion: to look beyond what they usually see. When we are at the learning stage, it is fairly easy to look for and discover a wide angle composition. However, to start seeing small extracts of landscapes, you really need to train yourself and adopt a kind of ‘tunnel vision’. Pointing out interesting compositions to clients, enabling them to create their interpretation of a viewpoint in camera and seeing their faces when they capture it is a wonderful feeling.
The best advice I can offer to photographers who don’t have a tutor standing beside them on location is to pay attention to your surroundings. Really take time to scan the landscape, don’t be afraid to experiment and use that other lens – you know, the one you hardly ever use, the 70-300mm one. Believe me, once you start looking, you will be amazed at the opportunities you will start to uncover.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers. Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor