Just a few days ago I returned from one of my now regular trips to Iceland. Since my first visit back in 2016, I find I have completely fallen in love with this magnificent country. There are many reasons Iceland has become such a special and unique location to me and many other photographers, revealing more and more of her secrets and beauty each time. However, it’s one specific reason that leapt to the forefront of my mind when I put pen to paper (or hand to keyboard).
Although it seems like only yesterday, it was actually quite some years ago when, as a fairly new photographer, I used to dread empty spaces; locations that, in my mind at least, offered not much subject matter to photograph. However, practicing photography, first as an amateur and later as a pro photographer, has taught me many things, the most important of which is to challenge oneself – and Iceland is the most remarkable place to put this to practice. Vast, empty spaces with nothing at first to catch your attention. Yet, when you look closer, concentrate and lose yourself in the location, you can always find something quite incredible to photograph, even in seemingly empty spaces. All the better too if the weather is on your side!
While I still love classic wide vista landscapes, these days I find that what attracts me the most is simplicity in composition. For some photographers this may prove a big challenge but, for me, it is where the unique Icelandic landscape really comes into its own, allowing photographers to really improve and thrive.
So, don’t be afraid of vast and empty spaces. Instead, embrace them and challenge yourself, like I have, and I am sure you will end up loving them.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue