Just a few days ago I returned from one of my now regular trips to Iceland. Since my first visit back in 2016, I find I have completely fallen in love with this magnificent country. There are many reasons Iceland has become such a special and unique location to me and many other photographers, revealing more and more of her secrets and beauty each time. However, it’s one specific reason that leapt to the forefront of my mind when I put pen to paper (or hand to keyboard).
Although it seems like only yesterday, it was actually quite some years ago when, as a fairly new photographer, I used to dread empty spaces; locations that, in my mind at least, offered not much subject matter to photograph. However, practicing photography, first as an amateur and later as a pro photographer, has taught me many things, the most important of which is to challenge oneself – and Iceland is the most remarkable place to put this to practice. Vast, empty spaces with nothing at first to catch your attention. Yet, when you look closer, concentrate and lose yourself in the location, you can always find something quite incredible to photograph, even in seemingly empty spaces. All the better too if the weather is on your side!
While I still love classic wide vista landscapes, these days I find that what attracts me the most is simplicity in composition. For some photographers this may prove a big challenge but, for me, it is where the unique Icelandic landscape really comes into its own, allowing photographers to really improve and thrive.
So, don’t be afraid of vast and empty spaces. Instead, embrace them and challenge yourself, like I have, and I am sure you will end up loving them.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers. Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor