Learning to listen
During my years and journey as a landscape photographer I have made my fair share of mistakes, as I am sure most of us have. Mistakes and experiences are an important part of the learning curve as we ever strive to improve our images and our techniques. Learning from and understanding our mistakes helps us to not unintentionally repeat them again, to see things from a slightly different perspective and to grow our knowledge. No matter how much experience we have individually, none of us ever stop learning.
Many of us seek the opinions and feedback from our peers online, either through a group or a forum. Laying your work open to the scrutiny of others can be quite daunting initially, but can also be hugely helpful. However, well intended observations or advice become useless if we can’t keep an open mind to critique and respect other people’s opinions, even if we don’t necessarily agree with them. The key to learning is to pause, listen and always keep an open mind.
How many of you have already found a ‘hidden treasure’ on the LPM website which is there for all to use? Next time you visit the website, look for the white star icon titled ‘EXTRAS’ on the navigation bar. In there you will find a whole heap of free features, video, podcasts reader images and much more. It’s also home to the ‘Magazine Index’ where you can view all historical LPM articles, authors and categories, right back to Issue 1. We hope you enjoy it!
Finally, our December issue (on sale Dec 1st) will be a little different as, for the first time ever, we have a special Guest Editor, Charlie Waite, at the helm. It’s going to be an issue you won’t want to miss.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue