Reading the theory about how something works is great – and we are very lucky to have such a wealth of information at our fingertips now in this digital age. But does reading about something actually mean we fully understand it?
Take cameras and lenses, for instance. You read about their functions, you play with it and, much of the time, you even understand what the manufacturer is trying to say. However, when it comes to tilt/shift lenses, I’ve found it to be a completely different story. Regardless of how many hours spent reading about the Scheimpflug principle, one can go round and round in circles and still end up with more questions than answers. The reality is the very best way to really understand how something works is often to get ‘hands on’ with it. In the case of tilt/shift lenses, to have someone actually show you how they really can and should work has proved the way to provide those answers.
Last year I started running tilt/shift lens workshops in the Lake District in England, teaching photographers how to get the best out of these lenses – and watching their faces fill with excitement as it all comes together. Having just returned from the latest workshop, I am pleased to say that the world now has seven more landscape photographers whose images will be sharp as a razor blade.
Until next month, be well and stay inspired.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your pictures to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue