Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This image was captured near where I live in Derbyshire. I first discovered it’s location while commuting to work a few years back. Its located just off a main road with no obvious parking so I only ever glanced at it briefly through the side window while passing. In my mind’s eye I could sense it had potential. I eventually made the visit there this year. What confronted me was a long path spanning the side of a field separated by a drystone wall and lined with some really interesting trees.
On the opposite side of the path is a woodland with silver birch trees at intervals along the route. Where ever you stand looking down the length of the path in both directions, the trees on each side create a wonderful tunnel of contrasting shapes within the scene. It reminds me of the Dark Hedges in Northern Ireland on a narrower scale. The path itself presents a natural leading line into the scene creating a sense of depth to the image.
On this particular winter morning the conditions for winter photography were excellent. Snow, fog and some sunlight penetrating the trees on the left. I didn’t have my telephoto lens with me so the initial photo and scene was a lot wider but I was eyeing up a composition further down the path so needed to focus much deeper into the scene. I knew I would need to crop this image later in post processing. This is the resulting image. I wanted to convey a cold but, beautifully eerie atmosphere that hopefully is reflected in the processing style undertaken in Lightroom with just minor tonal corrections and a cooler white balance applied.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor