Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Black and white photos of nature have a timeless quality. One winter morning I traveled to Lake Tahoe to photograph the famous Bonsai Rock. Instead I was attracted by the calm waters revealing various rocks and rock patterns. The water was so clean that I could see the fish on the bottom of the lake. I titled this image “Balance” as it reminded me of Zen philosophy and minimalism.
The rocks were positioned to suggest the shape of a triangle. But the implied metaphor is a sense of calm and peace. Visual metaphors may be subject to multiple interpretations. But even if they are not recognized consciously, if they’re present, they are always felt. We use metaphors to transmit emotions, relate to a subject or have a deeper understanding of a subject.
Living near the lake constantly provides me opportunities to reconnect with nature through photography. Lake Tahoe is the second deepest freshwater lake in the US surrounded by the massive Sierra Nevada mountains, straddling the border of California and Nevada. It is not only a beautiful vacation destination, but also an amazing location to photograph, particularly during spring, fall and winter.
A photograph is a symbol of a small piece of life. The power of it lies in the fact that it can say so much, within the constricted space of a frame. I felt that the rocks, the fog and the calm waters would synchronize better with just a slice of the scene in front of me, instead of the wide scene.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor