Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The rocky structures that dot the US Pacific coast have been a source of inspiration for many photographers and poets over time. A rock can have special meaning. The visual interpretation of shapes and textures become metaphors for subjects such as, solitude, time, stillness, and grandeur. A world in transformation, without being immediately changed, washed by rain and carved by wind and waves, the monoliths are oftentimes surrounded by a mysterious, dramatic, and otherworldly atmosphere. To convey this, I decided to turn this photo in black and white, as this feels closer to the spirit and the act of writing: black ink on white paper.
The image was taken at the end of November on the coast of Oregon under extremely rainy conditions, sometimes associated with fog, or a break in the clouds that let the sun shine over the landscape for a few minutes before going dark and moody again. The light and drama in the sky in tandem with the drama displayed by the ocean made me think of the famous aesthetic of the traditional Asian ink paintings of HuangShan mountains.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor