Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The 18 islands of the Faeröer are an extraordinary place to visit as a photographer. They are located in the Atlantic ocean somewhere in the middle at equal distance between Iceland, Norway and Scotland. Nevertheless the landscape of the Faeröer is very different from any of these other three countries. Important features of its landscape are the impressive cliffs which require very often some quite challenging hiking. As a reward, the views you get on top of those cliffs are an experience you'll never forget.
The sky is quite often overcast and gives a dramatic feel to the landscape. This picture, thanks to the clouded sky also has this dramatic feel to it. The yellow irises in the foreground give an interesting contrast with the rest of the scenery. The irises were only about half a meter in front of me and hence the picture required a very high depth of field to also include the mountains in the background. For the composition to work I included the church which required me to use a superwide angle lens. I used the 10mm setting on my XF10-24mm lens and closed the aperture to f/9. This gave me sufficient depth of field to cover the irises up to the background. I didn't use a tripod for this picture but was able to use a low iso setting of only 200 iso and an exposure of 1/40" thanks to the stabilized sensor and OIS lens on my Fujifilm X-H1 camera.
There is quite some rainfall on the islands. Therefore I would certainly advise to visit the Faeröer islands during summer as during this season you get on average the least rainfall.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor