TAKE PART • WIN $100
If you are a "lover of light", then you know that the half hour or so after sunset can be a real feast for the eyes. This was the case earlier this spring when I was shooting sunset over Port Royal, South Carolina. As I watched the sun sink below the horizon that evening, I noticed a few clouds working their way ever so slowly across the sky. The scene before me was rather flat with no good anchors or points of interest but something told me to just wait. I framed up my shot using the leading lines of the shallow water and the boardwalk but the scene was still missing something. Little by little the clouds worked their way closer to the composition I had chosen and then suddenly the scene was complete. For just a few brief moments, the sky was filled with the soft cotton candy colors of blues and pinks. Most of the sunset watchers and photographers had left long before then but, for the few of us who had waited it out, it was a magical moment.
This image was taken in Port Royal, South Carolina near the US Marine Corp Recruit Depot of Parris Island. The base is so close that while I was shooting around dusk, I could hear the sounds of taps drifting over the water. For this shot, I chose my Nikon D850 camera body and Sigma 24-105mm f/4 ART lens. Many of favorite images have been taken using this very same combination. I have found the Sigma 24-105 lens to be both reliable and tack sharp. If I was forced to choose only one of my lenses for a photography outing, I would choose that one every time.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor