Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This photo was made in early April, while I was driving back to Lisbon, after spending a few days in the small village of Longueira, in the southwest coast of Portugal. It shows the river Mira from the bridge in Vila Nova de Milfontes, where it reaches the Atlantic Ocean. I normally make this drive very early in the morning, to avoid traffic, and to keep an eye for photo opportunities. During the previous days, the weather had been quite variable, with a mix of sunshine and heavy rain showers.
From my previous experience in the region, I knew that those were favorable conditions for interesting photography near the river during sunrise. So, I parked the car before arriving at the bridge, grabbed my gear, and walked to the middle of the bridge. I was happy to find an interesting landscape from this viewpoint, especially looking East, towards the sunrise. The dramatic clouds were illuminated by the early light and being reflected in the quiet river. The small boat added further interest to the composition, as it seemed to be floating on both water and sky.
I framed the scene with my wide-angle lens to include the river and its banks, plus the distant mountains and clouds. I made a few exposures with the tripod mounted camera, paying attention to vibrations induced by passing vehicles. I carefully checked each frame in the camera’s LCD, to ensure I had at least one successful exposure.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor