TAKE PART • WIN $100
When it comes to abstract photography, I try to create images in which the subject is as unrecognisable as possible. It helps me to separate myself from the external visual reality and focus attention on shapes, colours, forms, textures, patterns, etc. Every now and then, however, I manage to create an image which triggers my imagination and allows me to go beyond the visual reality and ascribe it a completely new meaning.
Normally, I look for very complex images with very rich detail, multiple layers, different colours, contrasting shapes, etc. I find the complexity visually very appealing. While this capture is not as complex as my other abstract pictures, it belongs to my favourites. It is because, to me, it looks like an imaginary universe with all sorts of cosmic objects, planets, stars, dust clouds, etc. It reminds me of one of those shots taken by the Hubble telescope, probably just somewhat more cartoonish. In reality, however, the image captures bubbles trapped in ice, some cracks and some ice crystals on the surface.
This picture belongs to a larger series of images I took this winter. I spent several days photographing ice and plants frozen in ice in an attempt to create abstract photographs. Personally, I believe that creating abstract pictures is not easy and I consider most of the images in this series rather detail shots. I believe only few of them could be considered abstract and out of these, this is the only one which allows me to abstract from the real subject very easily and interpret it in an imaginative way. That’s why I find it quite special.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor