Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
As all landscape photographers know, the best quality light often occurs around sunrise and sunset times. What this entails is that to benefit from that light, it is necessary to be on the location on time, to be able to make the photograph that we have in our mind. On this occasion, I woke up very early on a July morning, and drove to this area of the southwest Portuguese coast. Parking the car at the end of a dirt track, I walked the remaining distance to reach this viewpoint. The view is wonderful, including the Cabo Sardão lighthouse in the far distance and the small beach hidden between the tall dark cliffs.
I walked around the area for a while, making several photos, to evaluate the framing and shutter speed, before deciding on this combination of exposure parameters. The morning was quiet, with a low cloud ceiling coming over the coastline, and I wanted to enhance that feeling. The sea was also quiet, which resulted in a strong aqua-marine colour away from the rocky areas. I also like the contrast between the dark vertical rock layers and the white quartz veins that crisscross the outcrops. The beacon of the lighthouse nicely complements the overall blueish tone of the scene.
I remained in the area for another hour or so, until the sun came up. It is a very rewarding experience to be in such natural environs and feel the pulse of the surrounding landscape and living beings at the break of day. There is a sense of belonging and being in tune with Nature.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor