TAKE PART • WIN $100
The setting sun highlights the icicles on the railings, as we sail through the Gerlache Straight in Antarctica. This Strait is named after the Belgian explorer Lt Adrien de Gerlache, who led an expedition to the area in 1898. We had boarded our ship in Puerto Madryn, Argentina 18 days earlier. During this time we had stopped and explored many places including the Falkland Islands with its colourful houses, interesting history and museum.
Every day when the weather allowed, we were out in the zodiacs making our way around enormous icebergs, some shaped like huge waves. A variety of birds including Albatross followed the ship, diving in its wake for fish. We moved on to South Georgia; a group of rugged islands with glacier-covered mountains and fjords and home to the largest colony of penguins. We visited the grave of Ernest Shackleton, the famous explorer. Not far from his grave in Grytviken is an abandoned whaling and sealing station which was active throughout the 20th century. We passed Elephant Island where there stands a statue; a tribute to Captain Luis Antonio Pardo Villalón who had rescued 22 men from the Shackleton Expedition, who were living on the island for months after surviving the wreck of the Endurance.
It was getting colder now as we moved south towards the Gerlache Strait where we got caught in a storm; huge waves crashed over the deck of the ship as it rocked from side to side. Then the storm subsided and the snow came covering everything outside. Even the flag was frozen and had fallen to the deck. Then we entered the Gerlache Strait, one of Antarctica’s most spectacular areas with its snow-covered mountains and spiky blue icebergs. The sun was going down and the icicles on the railings were sparkling.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor