TAKE PART • WIN $100
One of my favorite places to explore photographically are the fragile mancos shale badlands in central Utah in the USA. I usually spend several weeks there every year in late fall, hiking and exploring to take advantage of cooler weather and colorful fall foliage.
I have photographed in this region for decades and whenever I see this iconic landmark named Factory Butte in the distance I feel a bit like I am coming home. This image was made from my campsite which I chose specifically for this image because I wanted to catch the first rays of the sun as it started to light up Factory Butte. The entire region around here is vast and filled with mesas and canyons so no matter how often I explore, I always am finding something new to aim my camera at.
However recently I have noticed something new that is very upsetting. There were many new tracks from many ORV’s that were not there when last I was here. It is public BLM land and they had always prohibited wheeled travel because this land is so fragile and tracks last for decades and totally change the erosion and drainage patterns. This environmental damage is especially apparent from the perspective of my drone. It turns out that the BLM has lifted their prohibitions and opened this up to ORV recreation despite the drastic environmental detriment that comes along with this policy change. We photographers have always had a mantra of leaving no trace so I was not a happy person when I discovered this!
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor