I took the ferry from the mainland at Nesna on the coast of Helgeland in Nordland county in Northern Norway. I was heading to the island of Tomma which is surrounded by tall mountains like Tomskjeveln who is tallest mountain, rising over 1000 meter above sea level. On Tomma I drive to the small village of Tomeidet. From there I could watch the staggering mountain peaks of Eiabelgan. Their shape is very distinctive and special. Eiabelgan can be watched far away from the ocean and have been marks for sailors long, long time ago. This magnificent peaks rise about 600 meter above sea level and dominates the landscape scenery here at the western part of Tomma.
It was a late summer evening and the sun shine red on one of the peaks of Eiabelgan. In the foreground lays an old wooden house which I find very contrasting together with the high peaks. I took a lot of picture from my spot, with different lenses and angles. The largest and biggest peak of Eibelgan got a dark hole right below the top. This a an entrance to a large cave there our ancestors used to live. At that time, approximately 10 000 years ago, the sea level was 60 meters higher and such caves was the homestead for many people who could find shelter and feel safe there. From the bottom of the peak, it goes a path up to the cave.
The exciting island of Tomma is one of the larger island along the Helgeland coast. I will surely recommend a trip out to Tomma, just to watch the mountains and the rural villages like Tomeidet. I'm not sure about how many inhabitants there actually live on the island, but approximately nothing more than 200 people. These people are mainly fishermen who have a short way out to the fishing places out there on the beautiful coast of Helgeland. They usually fish after cod, halibut and shrimps. This coastline are well known as a rich sea with many different kind of fishes and shellfish. You are almost guaranteed togetfish.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor