Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
This spring, I spent quite a lot of time photographing an area at Necpaly village. It is probably just a ten minute drive away from where I live so I was able to scout the place in advance and plan the shot. Normally, I would hope for some dramatic light and interesting sky, but in this case, I deliberately waited for a cloudless sky to capture this scene. The foreground is very simple and I wanted to put as much emphasis on the lines and layers of the composition as possible. It occurred to me that sky with texture would not complement the simplistic foreground very well and moreover, I thought it would probably attract too much attention.
So with the first opportunity, I visited the place on a clear morning and I lucked out. The hazy conditions I got were ideal for this shot. The colours of the scene were quite muted anyways because everything was covered in frost but the haze further softened the colours, reduced details and textures and gave the image a nice dreamy character. Despite the fact that most of the scene is still in shadow and the light is very flat, the mist helped to create sense of depth and it also helped to manage the hot highlights on the peaks of the mountains and therefore emphasize the trees which are the main focus of the composition.
At the end, the image turned out better than what I hoped for and it confirmed to me that it is always worth going to shoot, even on bluebird days or in flat light. It is all about choosing the right subject for any given conditions.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor