TAKE PART • WIN $100
In the photo I portray Mount Freddone, I was near Arni a small town in the Garfagnana, in Tuscany, nestled in the Apuan Alps. Surely a shot like this was not in my plans, I had to find myself elsewhere, but an avalanche blocked my way almost at the end of the path. We were a group of 5 people, 3 of them with little experience in the mountains, so I opted for the wisest thing: to go back.
Fortunately I was afraid of being faced with such a situation, the Apuan Alps have extremely steep walls that overlook the sea and despite their modest height, it is easy to find unstable snow. Precisely for this reason I had prepared a reserve spot, but time was running fast and I had to go back quickly if I didn't want to miss the sunset, the situation looked promising and I was starting to feel the pressure of time.
Once in the valley I crossed the village of Arni with the same speed with which you run when you are about to miss the train, I had to arrive at the Puliti refuge, an old refuge above the village of Arni, now abandoned for some years. From that refuge I would have had a splendid view of the crazy walls of the Apuan Alps, from there you can see Mount Corchia, Mount Macina, Mount Sella, Sumbra and Freddone, which from that perspective would have assumed an imposing and suggestive aspect, highlighting it the harsh crest that distinguishes it. Fortunately, I arrived in time and witnessed a show of lights and colors that I had never seen on these beautiful Alps, an hour of ecstasy for the eyes, which allowed me to create this and other images.
I decided to call this shot LIEVORA because it is the ancient name of Mount Freddone, which in the past was so called because it was populated by Ligurian leives.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor