This old farmhouse has seen better days. It has been abandoned for at least 30 years. The front porch had collapsed by the time I visited. There is no trace of the other farm buildings that once surrounded it. It is situated on the outskirts of a small town that has been almost entirely abandoned since farms in the area started failing about 90 years ago. The farmland around the house is now farmed again but on a huge scale.
It was bitterly cold - about minus 18 degrees. It was so cold that my tripod parts became loose. It was easier to shoot handheld. The winter conditions, however, made compositions a little easier as the ubiquitous snow and low white cloud helped isolate subjects. I made images of the house set isolated with the plain snow-covered field around it, but in the end, I preferred to capture it through the overgrown trees in a ditch a few hundred yards away.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor