Salt Spring Island is well-known and well-loved for its outstanding natural beauty, including rugged mountains, luxuriant rainforests, pristine lakes and hidden waterfalls. And as an artist who loves to find the extraordinary every day, I feel very fortunate to live on this gem of an island in the Pacific Northwest where otherworldly landscapes beckon.
Thanks to the dedication of members in organizations like The Nature Conservancy of Canada and the Salt Spring Island Conservancy, whose “...mission is to protect and enhance the natural values of the island and its surrounding waters by acquiring land or covenants, and by educating landholders and the public toward improved land and water stewardship.”, we nature photographers can explore acres of unspoiled terrain, like the magnificent old-growth hemlock and cedar rainforest found in Jarrod’s Grove Nature Reserve.
One morning in mid-March, my photographer brother, Michael and I returned to this rare coastal temperate rainforest. He took our tripods down into the deep ravine, hiking along the creek until we reached the thunderous falls with their basalt-black boulders and ice-white waters, the air saturated with lavish greens as we stood amid ferns and moss-draped trees. We felt as if we had stepped back in time into a prehistoric landscape, the dappled light creating an even more ethereal atmosphere. And hoping to capture that feeling and the long satin ribbon of the falls before the sun rose too high, I chose to set up my tripod on a perch, looking down onto this extraordinary scene.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor