Through a friend, I had heard about a recent snowfall at the end of October this year on Chinook Pass in Washington State, where Mount Rainer can be seen. This area is part of Mount Rainier National Park and is only 2 hours from my home in Prosser, Washington.
On the second day of the snowfall on Chinook Pass, I left my home at 5:15 am and drove to the national park. Upon arrival, I was surprised by the icy, slippery, and foggy road conditions on top of Chinook Pass. I put on my microspikes, grabbed my camera, tripod, and winter gloves and headed to a little tarn called Upper Lake Tipsoo, where Mount Rainier can be seen.
There is another larger tarn on Chinook Pass named Lower Lake Tipsoo, but I decided to try the smaller tarn this time. As I hiked the short distance to Lake Tipsoo, I was greeted by a small group of photographers and noticed that there was fog blocking our view of the mountain.
I had arrived a little later than sunrise, but it didn't matter as the mountain had fog surrounding it. So I set up my gear and spoke with the other photographers about the conditions we were experiencing. It was a beautiful morning with plenty of snow, and the lake was pretty still. So I waited with the others for a couple of hours to get a glimpse of Mount Rainier and its reflection in the water.
I only got two photographs that show a partial view and reflection of Mount Rainier as the fog receded, but they were stunning. This is one of them
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Download all new issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all back issues of Landscape Photography Magazine
• Download all new issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download all back issues of Wild Planet Photo Magazine
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Create your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• Your pictures stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page forever
• We promote all your uploaded pictures to over 300,000 members and followers
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor