Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
The Giants Causeway is situated on the beautiful north coast of N.Ireland in an area of outstanding natural beauty. The Giants Causeway is a designated world heritage site and is visited by thousands of tourists from all over the world every year. I am very lucky that I live only a short drive away from the causeway so can photograph it throughout the year and capture the light in the different seasons.
This particular image was captured in late May 2019 at the start of the pandemic so the whole country was in lockdown. This gave me the opportunity to visit the causeway when it was almost empty and void of humans. Usually, the 60 million-year-old basalt columns are swarming with tourists making it very difficult to photograph without someone getting in the way of your composition. On this occasion, it had been raining most of the day but had stopped when I arrived and had the causeway all to myself.
It was still cloudy but just before sunset, the sun broke through the clouds with amazing sun rays shooting through with some wonderful colours in the sky. The basalt columns were still wet from the rain making for a good and more interesting foreground. I had my camera set up on my Gitzo tripod so was able to take a longer exposure giving some movement to the sea. I took a number of shots from different locations and angles but I liked this overall image the best as I was able to get lower down and closer to the basalt columns giving a better composition.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor