TAKE PART • WIN $100
Some years ago I led a photographic workshop to Scotland where we had a simply spectacular trip. One place I had been before and especially wanted my group to experience was the Callanish Stones on the Isle of Lewis. Of all the standing stone sites, probably only Stonehenge is more important than these. If I have to pick one place in Scotland that still to this day stands at number one in my memory, it is these Callanish Stones and I have visited them several times.
I made sure we stayed at a hotel within walking distance to the stones and so we got to spend three separate occasions visiting and photographing this very special place out of the total time we explored Harris and Lewis. At that time, the stones were open to anyone being able to walk among them which for we photographers was a wonderful opportunity and we also got to experience them in three different qualities of light.
On this evening, we had dinner in our hotel and since it was June, sunset was very late so after dinner we walked over to the stones where we were the only people there and had the place to ourselves on a spectacular windless and warm evening. These clouds started to move in at sunset and we spent almost two hours enjoying and photographing every aspect of the evening until darkness finally drove us back to our hotel. This particular composition turned out to be the favorite of the ones I made and was taken about a minute before the last light left the stones. We all came away with meaningful compositions but this evening visit was easily the most rewarding to all of us.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor