Even though this image was taken around 10 am, it is sunrise in December in far north Finland. This part of Finland (as well as Norway and Sweden) is known as Lapland, the home of the Samis.
The Kemijoki River runs through the centre of Rovaniemi, Finland, considered the centre of Lapland. While the sun is only up for about 4 hours this time of year, the mood constantly changes as the sun comes up, the air warms (relatively speaking) and steam rises over the river creating a very moody scene.
Apparently, this river normally completely freezes over in most areas, but this, like so many areas, is being hit by climate change.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share your published pictures with over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see a sample
• We promote all your pictures to over 300,000 followers via our social media pages
• Download all new issues of the magazine
• Download all back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be forever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor