While on a drive in the Pacific Northwest along the Oregon Coast, I made a short pitstop to stretch my legs near the town of Florence, Oregon. My intent was to park near the beach, bring my camera and snap some photos of the waves. But while at the beach, I happened upon a seemingly plain path through the woods. I thought I could take a short walk in the shade and then make my way back to the car.
I was delighted to find that the path was not as plain as it seemed. I was surrounded by unusual flora, in a dense unfamiliar forest when I came across this wonderful scene. The trees along the wooded path formed a natural arch. Their gnarled branches twisting overhead with a mix of luscious green leaves, allowed just enough of the sunlight to playfully highlight a sprinkling of perfectly set bright pink rhododendrons peeking through the foliage.
Luckily, I had my Nikon D810 and tripod with me to snap evidence of this magical and moody scene. Since the area was fairly dark I had to rely on my tripod to hold the camera steady so that I could take a long exposure (2.5 seconds). I also wanted to capture the full depth of field, so I set the aperture to f/14.
The end result is a perfect capture of the moody, magical scene that captivated my imagination. And what was originally to be a fifteen-minute walk turned out to be a two-hour exploration with photography, as is usually the case when I have my camera in tow.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor