TAKE PART • WIN $100
This picture was taken early on in my photography career. As a photographer, I was, and still am, very obsessed with taking landscape photos where I can incorporate long exposure into the process. I am very intrigued with the concept of creating a contrast between the smoothness created by long exposure of flow and the details from the still subjects. This photo was a 3 minutes stack of huge waves crashing over a pile of rocks. By using long exposure, I was able to make the waves look like mist surrounding the rocks, creating a peaceful atmosphere to deceive the viewer from the violent reality of the nature in which I was photographing.
It was definitely challenging to take the photo (or multiple photos in this case) because this was late into the afternoon as the sun was setting and the tides were coming up. The waves were huge which posed a challenge to position the camera/tripod to take multiple long exposures and making sure each photo was taken the same way. Additionally, time played a big factor because the tides were coming and this location was accessible by walking some distance on the beach, so there wasn't any time that could be afforded for mistakes to happen. Overall, the entire process felt very rushed at the time, but I'm happy that the practice I put in before paid out and I was able to capture the photos necessary for this shot.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your Personal Portfolio Page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor