Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Early December 2020 in the middle of the Pandemic lockdown we decided to hit the empty roads of the Arizona-Utah territory. We were blessed with 14 days of Zion National Park, The Grand Canyon, and Sedona Arizona all to ourselves, literally.
Arriving at the Grand Canyon's South Rim the previous afternoon in the middle of a snow and wind squall, visibility of the Canyon floor was near Zero. Uncertain of what the morning would bring, I headed out at dark with the temperature at 4 degrees, with a 20 Mile per hour wind chill to minus 4 degrees. For anyone who's ever been to the Canyon, the lookout points literally hang on the edge of 1,000 feet. At dark the wind was freezing, so cold that I got a bit of frostbite on my hand from holding the freezing carbon fiber legs of my trip-pod. At dark, perched on the rim, the forms of the Canyon are ghostly. Depth perception ceases to exist. You know she's out there and massive, but you literally can't see anything until the light starts to break. Once the Sun starts to rise you begin to visually scramble for compositions. You have to work fast because you only have a few minutes to catch first light.
What I like so much about this image is the wind swept steely cold blue of the canyon floor. ItThe tempature was below Zero and the hue of the Canyon floor reflects the chill; the remnants of the previous days snow dots the North Rim as the sun explodes against the remaining clouds, as another day in the life of THE GRANDEST OF CANYONS unfolds.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor