Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
Sandbanks Provincial Park near Picton Ontario, Canada is a very unique ecosystem for this part of the Country. Lakeside habitat, limestone shores, endangered wetlands and of course, fresh water sand dunes. The weather that day had been very windy, which is beneficial to sand photography I find. Any footprints, or tracks are swept away leaving a pattern mimicking the winds passage. It took some time for me to fins what I was looking for. I wanted a scene where the only elements were the sand and the sky.
There had been several black clouds scudding through the area that day and I thought they'd make an excellent contrast to the light tones of the sand. Luckily, a black cloud emerged over the parallel line of the top of the dune shown in this image. To eliminate all background distractions I laid down on my side in the sand, which was actually pretty comfortable if it weren't or the wind blowing the sand in my face. Looking through the viewfinder I was instantly reminded of an isolated, and alien land. I tried working that angle to include the upsweep of the dune on the left side of the frame.
It was one of those moments in photography where you know you have a good image just from looking at the back screen. Finishing the shoot, I stood up, dusted myself off an hiked back to the car. I feel the results were well worth the trouble of having to rinse sand out of my mouth for the next few hours.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor