Assignments are brought to you by mpb.com
I made a quick trip to Dartmoor National Park, in the south-west of England, just before Lockdown 2.0 took effect last November. Dartmoor has more than 160 tors, dramatic outcrops of granite, usually standing on top of a hill. The tors vary in size and each has its own distinct formation. This little grouping of rocks near Saddle Tor is famous for the weather-beaten lonely tree that grows amongst them.
I had tried to photograph this scene the day before but was defeated by blustery winds and sideways rain. I decided to go back the next morning for sunrise and set off from the carpark with my headtorch. It was easy enough to find the previous day in daylight but proved rather more difficult in the dark. I walked in circles as the sky started to brighten in the east, wishing that I had thought to mark its location on the map. I eventually located what is now my favourite lonely tree and quickly set up my tripod and camera where I had stood the day before.
It was a cold and cloudless morning, which gave the image a minimal feel. I used a one stop graduated filter to retain the highlights in the sky and let nature take care of the rest.
Our $200 prizes consist of $100 cash and $100 mpb.com voucher
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your Personal Portfolio Page and let us share it monthly to over 300,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your Personal Portfolio Page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 300,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 70 images per year via our monthly assignments and picture submission forms
• Your uploaded pictures/posts stay attached to your page for as long as you are a VIP member, which could be for ever
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 12 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
Dimitri Vasileiou • Editor